The Write Stuff
The Official Newsletter of Mobile Writers Guild
October 2, 2013
Volume 4 Issue 4
From the President:
Wow this month went by fast! Have you all been hard at work on the goals you set last month? I know it helped push me to complete mine in time. In the back of my head, knowing I’d committed to this in front of y’all made me get it done. How about you? It’s not too late to reach the goal you set!
-Angela Trigg w/a Angela Quarles
2013-2014 MWG President
Our next monthly meeting is THURSDAY, October 3th, in the first floor meeting room of the West Regional Library from 6-7:30pm. We will be learning some techniques about how to plot your novel and prepare to right 50,000 words in 30 days. This is intended for those that are curious on how to plot and push away the inner editor and write fast, and for those intending to participate in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) in November!
The Third Annual Tracy Hurley Memorial Writing Contest
- Short story contest open to all students grades 6-12th in Mobile and Baldwin counties.
- Entries must be between 500-2500 words, and will be rated based on plot structure, grammar/spelling, and originality.
- Include your name, grade, school, and story in the body of an e-mail to email@example.com
- Deadline is midnight, on Saturday, November 16, 2013.
- Winners will be announced and awarded their prizes on Thursday, December 5, 2013 at 6pm in the meeting room of the West Regional Library.
- Two categories for judging: Middle School and High School.
- First, second, and third place winners in both categories.
- Prizes include cash ($25 first place, $15 second place, and $10 third place) and on-line publication for winners in both categories.
Great opportunity for Jim Henson fans! From October 1st, 2013 to December 31st, 2013, The Jim Henson Company and Grosset & Dunlap of the Penguin Young Readers Group will be accepting writing submissions to find the author for a new novel set in the world of Jim Henson’s The Dark Crystal. This author search is open to all professional and aspiring professional writers. More info: http://www.darkcrystal.com/authorquest/
Southern Breeze region of Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators will be having a conference Oct. 12, 2013, at Spain Park High School, Birmingham, AL. “Every session, every speaker, every moment is designed to help you improve your work. You’ll meet editors and agents from industry-leading agencies and publishing houses—and the friendliest, most supportive colleagues you could ever hope to find.” More info: https://southern-breeze.net
Winston Groom will be at Page & Palette promoting his new release, The Aviators, October 30th at 6:00 p.m. Click here for event details. (Limited number of tickets available)
Congrats to member Joyce Scarbrough! Her novel SYMMETRY has been contracted for republication by The Wild Rose Press. She also just signed a three-book deal with Buzz Books USA to publish her YA novel PENANCE and two more books in the series. The first one may be out as early as next June! Way to go Joyce, I know you’ve been working hard!
Continue to send in your writing news and author events to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can share your milestones with the community.
Be sure to support our new officers!
Where to find us:
On Twitter: @MobileWriters
Remember that comments, suggestions, and questions are welcome—both online and at the meetings. Thanks for your continued support!